Wordle is one of the best ways to engage learners in learning new vocabulary, use it prior to reading or as stimulus to speaking or writing activities, it is versatile and visually powerful. cf 44 interesting ways to use Wordle in the classroom , Word Cloud Resources, Tips and Tools
The following tips are taken from Wit Language School.
Interesting features of Wordle for language teachers:
- More frequent words are increased in size
- Common words (the, and, of, etc.) are excluded by default but can be included
- Individual words can be excluded with a simple 'Control Click'
- The 'Randomize' feature creates new versions of a particular text instantly, making it easy to make a number of different Wordles for a text
- The layout can be customized for maximum readability (e.g. all text horizontal)
- There is no limit to the size or style of the text - it is a quick, easy way to make short texts and word lists look funky
- Wordles help to increase learner motivation and interest in learning vocabulary, reading, speaking, writing, etc.
- Wordles can be printed our cut and copied into Word documents by using the Paint programme
How to make a Wordle
- Find a text you want to use , select and copy it
- Go to www.wordle.net and click 'Create'. Paste the text into the box which says: 'Paste in a bunch of text'
- Click 'Go'
- Use the buttons at the top of the screen to customise your wordle
- Press print or capture the Wordle by pressing 'control' + 'print screen' together then 'paste' it into the Paint program. By using the 'select tool', highlight the area you need and 'copy' and 'paste it into a Word document.
- Save Wordle in the Wordle 'Gallery' (optional)