PPLI is an agency of the Department of Education and Skills in Ireland whose role is:
- to provide expertise and support for foreign languages education at post-primary level in Ireland
- to promote multilingualism (use of multiple languages in society) and support plurilingualism (use of more than one language by individuals)
- to support the lesser taught languages
- to facilitate the introduction of more languages in to the curriculum via new short courses for Junior Cycle
- to conduct applied research that will inform and support policy
The initial languages targeted by the initiative were Spanish, Italian and Japanese, and Russian was added a few years later. We see our role now as widening to encourage, promote and support the learning of all languages at post-primary level, and to develop policy and structures for the introduction of other new languages based on research of best practice and on the experience of the initiative in relation to the existing languages.